July 15, 2009

Homeroom PTA

Oversized butts crammed into kiddie chairs. "Moving" the nominations closed after naming just one candidate. Economical introductions, the better not to get nominated.

This was my first official homeroom PTA meeting, and I'm glad I sat at the back. I'm not really the gung-ho extra-curricular type, and I refuse to stress myself out from too much "responsibility." Fact is, I have perfected the disinterested look in meetings just so I won't be called to be responsible for anything other than my usual work and the things I'm interested in doing.

I am not my parent's daughter in this respect. Dad is a veteran of elections and campaigns. Ma is the type who gets elected in anything, from PTAs to homeowners' associations to pastoral councils to federations of this and that. (At some point--and to my utter embarrassment--Ma "volunteered" me for the neighborhood Reyna Elena search. I won, but only because [as my sisters always insist] it was a money contest he he he).

Anyway, back to the PTA. I heaved a big sigh of relief when I was NOT nominated. From my vantage point I could see that my co-parents are younguish ones. The one or two "lolas" who sat in for their daughters were closer to my age than the rest of the parents, he he he. There will be more meetings, and more getting-to-know-yous. For now, I am glad that the homeroom elections is over and done with. I just don't like elections. Of any kind.

9 comments:

buday said...

"Anyway, back to the PTA."

NOOO!!! Let's not go back to the PTA! Tell us more about the Reyna Elena thing!

From your sister.

Abaniko said...

What does the PTA in your kid's school do? I remember in grade school, PTA's main (and I think, only) responsibility was to raise funds for some dubious school projects.

Kayni said...

It's the same with me. I think I am past that stage where I'm so active in extra-curricular activities. These days, I prefer to just sit and watch what happens.

Anna said...

Buday: Bwa ha ha! One of these days I'll dig into my 1986 memory box. I just might find a picture of you doing a song-and-dance "tribute" to the Reyna Elena!!!

Anna said...

Abaniko: Yehey, you're back! And I can see that you have lots and lots of wonderful phptographs and posts.

So far, the new PTA officers have already sent letters requesting "contributions" ... he he he

Anna said...

Kayni: No need to add more stress to an already stressful life, di ba? :p

Anonymous said...

hahaha, mag ingat ka lang kay kun mataon na yada ako sa mga maabot pa na panahon na may elections, inonominate ko nanggayud ikaw, maski mag uruuklo ka pa hehehe.

Unknown said...

Oo nga naman, tell us more about the Reyna Elena thing... :-D

Glo said...

anna, diin an school an bata mo?