November 5, 2008

Busy Nothings

"Life seems to be nothing more but a quick succession of busy nothings."

I can't remember from which movie this was, but this line has become pretty useful. It has actually become some sort of mantra, especially when I am busy beyond busy. When I feel like I am, among others, general manager of the universe. I only have to recite "busy nothings, busy nothings" over and over again, and suddenly there is a perspective to things.

Like today. As soon as I woke up, I was already on the mobile, sending out frantic messages. A project had to be documented, a meeting had to be scheduled, and a venue had to be reserved. Three hours later, as I took a call for the nth time, epiphany struck: I realized I am on sick leave and there is nothing in the commandments that says you have to torture yourself with busy nothings when you are down with the flu.

The world will not end if I don't document this workshop, or if I miss this meeting. It won't disintegrate just because there is one folder that can't be found, or one letter that has yet to be written.

This flu is my body is telling me that I need to rest. And I will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

agree ako dida, menchie. pagluway lang. turugi anay. the same sun will greet you in the morning. i pray you feel better then.

Droomvla said...

Good for you! Pahuwayi, pabayai man sinda magkamas-kamas. HAHAHAHA

Abaniko said...

I remember working hard one extremely busy day at the office (too pee, I had to run to the restroom to save on time) when towards evening, I felt dizzy. I then realized, I hadn't taken any meal that day.

Listen to your body, Anna. You may even turn your cell phone off if you want. You deserve a "restful rest." :D