May 12, 2007

A Day in the Life

I took time off from work today. There hasn't been that much activity in the workplace recently (unless counting the hours counts), so I declared a personal holiday of sorts. And so here I am, a steaming mugful at hand, quietly celebrating the little successes of this oh-so domesticated day.

Today I:

1. Baked. I took to baking ten years ago, when I was really, really bored. My first attempt had the neighbors screaming "fire." (I have since learned not to confuse Fahrenheit with Centigrade.) Anyway, here's a great brownie recipe: Melt 1 1/2 sticks butter and 4 oz baking chocolate. Stir in two cups sugar, beat in three eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add 1 cup flour, mix very well, then fold in one cup walnuts. Bake in 350F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Heavenly, if I may say so.

2. Planted basil. Milenyo flattened my herb garden eight months ago. I found basil cuttings in this quaint little store and had them repotted today. Yum, I can already taste homemade pesto...

3. Checked out the new supermarket. While pounding the aisles for Pampers, Promil Kid and a host of other baby stuff I discovered fresh asparagus, fresh spinach and--glory!--fresh lemon! Lemon squares, anyone?

4. Bought the latest Yummy issue. Will definitely try Marbled Cream Cheese Peanut Butter Brownies.

5. Uploaded photos to my Friendster account. For the longest time, I had been fighting the urge to join Friendster (distraction,distraction). I recently clicked on a friend's invite, and lo and behold friends I haven't seen in ages have resurfaced. Now I'm hooked. Too bad I still have to scrounge around for low-res photos.


6. Scrapbooked. Finally found use for the papers I've been hoarding all these years. That's Adam, the Brother Formerly Known as HoneyBoy's son. Did the layout for Gianna's second scrapbook...



7. Sang along to Maria and Little Orphan Annie. So okay, I got rejected by the high school choral group. My daughter, however, thinks I'm the greatest singer in the world, bar none.

Guess I had a little too much of Annie, though. Blogging over, coffee gone and ready for bed, still can't get this thing off my mind:

"Rover, when you think it over, Rover is the perfect name for this dumb-looking dog."

Bad case of the last song syndrome...

No comments: