May 15, 2007

Post-election Blues

I don't understand politics. The seamier side of it anyway. I grew up with a grandfather who toed the line, and a father who--for most of his working life--was a public official. Both were into politics when it was honorable to be so, when political affiliations meant a great deal. Political campaigns then were anchored on platforms, and rallies didn't hide behind the cloak of show business.

Nowadays you could hardly tell real politics from show business. Or from a tacky talk show. Instead of "what I will do to serve my constituents if and when elected" candidates focus on "what I would give to destroy my opponent." Instead of literature lauding a candidate's achievements, you get risographed copies of his opponent's muck.

It has been a day since the elections. I voted, if only to earn the right to say something about those who would eventually "rule" for the better part of three years. I voted, if only to make sure that Doc Martin doesn't get a zero in my precinct.

Not that the elections hold much promise. A day later, and I still hear the same stories I've been hearing for four elections or so: stories of leaders pocketing the "meant-to-buy-your-vote money," stories of irate electors who voted for the other candidate because they did not get the "envelope," stories of equally irate candidates whose names "mysteriously" disappeared from the sample ballots on the last hour.

On the canvass board, Doc Martin is way, way below. It's quite shattering to see his name alongside that of Victor Wood. So much for thinking that I could make things happen with my one vote...

1 comment:

quietstream said...

You may not have made a difference on a large scale, but you have made a difference with your one vote. By voting for Doc Martin and others you like, you have made known that you are a thinking voter, one who cannot be bought. One vote for Doc Martin is one vote less for trapos. So in your precinct, they'll know that there's at least one person who wants genuine change. May there be more people like you.