October 2, 2007

Smells Like ...

A colleague, fresh from a seminar in Davao, brought fresh durian to the office today. The moment he opened his Tupperware, there was a chorus of "yucks." Somebody opened the door to air out the room, and it took awhile before we decided that the smell was, well, bearable.

It wasn't as bearable, though, for the others who dropped by our relatively small space. One whiff of the durian-scented air, and somebody who wanted to have her blood pressure taken retreated. She didn't want to risk a heart attack, she said. A client, who was waiting for a relative's death certificate to be reviewed, wrinkled her nose, wondering perhaps if she was smelling death. Another thought she smelled antibiotics.

E, goading us to try the durian, repeated the oft-quoted durian lover's line: that it smells like hell but tastes like heaven. Maybe it really takes some getting used to, but I just didn't like the gooey, mushy texture. I just don't like my food all gooey and mushy at all. It may take some more tries before I can say that durian tastes like heaven. for now, let's say that it's ... interesting. And yes, it's more bearable with an icy glass of Coke.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't like durian very much too. But I can bear its taste and smell.

At the supermarket last week, while browsing through the fruit stand, my 6-y/o girl V says "Hmm, that smells good!" with such gusto towards the direction of some fresh durian in packs. All the shoppers, including myself, stopped with puzzled looks. TAma ba ang narinig namin? Haha, i had to verify with my V. Yes, she does find the smell of durian heavenly! LOL

Abaniko said...

Wonder how durian tastes with beer. Now, I have something to look forward to.

Wenchie said...

Hi Anna, last month a friend from Sulu sends us a box of mangosteen and durian. That was the first time I actually ate durian. I was even the one who opened the fruit, waiting for a foul smell, but to my surprise, it smells ok. I eat it, it's a little creamy for my taste...Btw, you have an award on my site, pls. get it. Cheers!

ScroochChronicles said...

Funny, I was just at a trade fair yesterday and was having a ball trying all the "free taste" samples. At one booth I picked up my sample, without knowing what it was, and almost died when I discovered it was durian! Couldn't spit it out so endured the pain of swallowing it.

Nope, not for me :)

Forever59er said...

One either loves or hates the queen of jungle fruit. I love it.